Animal Control FAQ

Q:  What are the hours for Animal Control and when are they available for pickups?

A:  Animal Control is available during normal City Hall business hours 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday except most government holidays.  If you need after hours assistance contact Jackson County dispatch at (816) 795-1960 and then Animal Control will follow up with the incident.

Q:  Am I required to have a city pet license and how do I get a city license for my pet?

A:  Yes, you are required to have a city pet license for all animals in your household.  To obtain your city pet license bring proof of rabies vaccination to City Hall during regular business hours.  

Q:  When do I renew my city pet license?

A:  Renew your city pet license each year on the renewal of the rabies vaccination.

Q:  What is the cost of the city pet license?

A:  The city pet license is $5 for altered and $10 for unaltered per pet.

Q:  Is there a leash law for Oak Grove?

A:  Yes, all animals are required to be restrained at all times.  That is to be in a fully enclosed fenced area or on a leash, even in their own yard.

Q:  Where is my pet taken if picked up by Oak Grove Animal Control Officer?

A:  All animals picked up by the Animal Control Officer are taken to Oak Grove Animal Clinic for 5 business days.  After 5 business days, if unclaimed by the owner, animals may be sent to local rescues, adopted to a new family, or humanely euthanized.  Owners of animals are responsible for kennel fees and may be subject to citation for violation of city pet ordinances.

Q:  How do I get my pet back from Oak Grove Animal Control?

A:  In order to be reunited with your pet, you must come to City Hall and pay all associated fees.  This could include an impoundment fee, running at large fee, boarding fee, vaccinations and flea treatment.  

Q:  What happens if my pet is picked up injured?

A:  Any injured animal impounded by the City of Oak Grove will be treated humanely and every effort will be made to contact the owner prior to euthanizing any suffering animal.  If the owner cannot be reached, the animal will either be treated or humanely euthanized as advised by the Veterinarian.  Any veterinary cost incurred will be billed to the animal owner.

Q:  How do I report a lost or found animal?

A:   Contact Animal Control at (816) 690-3773 ext. 1006 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.  If you have a picture of the animal, please email it to with "lost animal" in the subject line.